Thursday 21 July 2011

Devil’s Food White-Out Cake





For the first time in recent memory, I thought I’d found something pretty good-looking, albeit with a vague Franco Cozzo aesthetic. And it was no less pleasing in the eating – I never knew that whole dark choc-chips in cake could be such a viable thing.

This is the very same layer cake that graces the cover of Dorie Greenspan’s Baking, with a few tonings-down. I kept just the two layers rather than attempting to slice them lengthways in half.

This was mainly because I decided not to follow Dorie into crumbling one of the halves to stick all over the marshmallowy meringue-like icing – it made it look too much like a curly pelt to me. But marshmallow icing – now what could be done with that? I get to use my blowtorch all too little since I moved on from creme brulee every night, so out it came and what fun I had.

This is a great, rich, fudgy cake to have in the stable. There’s a plethora of other ways it could be dressed up. It’s reason enough to buy Baking, with the other 299 recipes as a bonus, but the recipe can be found all over the internet like a fabulous, badly kept secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment